Thursday 6 February 2014

Let's talk about...

Neck and nominate: The latest social media trend which encourages people to drink a pint of something alcohol based, then nominate friends to follow suit. This gets videoed and put on Facebook.
Suddenly controversial due to the extent at which people are 'one-upping' each other, this fad is one I'm hoping will die soon. 
What started as a mildly entertaining trend has now spiralled into an annoying, predictable clip where people are doing things which I (and most of the world) really don't care about. I can assure you that no one in their right mind wants to watch someone drink urine. 
If you really wanted to watch someone down a pint of liquid, you'd be welcome to come into my kitchen after I've hiked up the hill on which I live to see me neck a pint of ribena. This happens on a daily basis - What can I say, I live wildly. However, unlike my Facebook peers, I don't feel the need to show the world. 
I think one of the things that bugs me most about 'neck&nominate' is the fact that people spell it as 'nek'. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it supposed to be 'neck', because you're 'necking' a drink? Perhaps it's just the grammar obsessive inside of me being picky, but my God, it's annoying. 
The second thing that annoys me is how darn attention seeking people are getting with their videos. I really just want to comment saying 'No one gives a crap that you're drinking fairy liquid. You look like a twat and you're going to get a stomach ache. Is this really worth it?' 
For now, I will refrain. If I posted comments like that on every video I watched, I probably wouldn't be very popular with A LOT of people. 

2 comments: